Roast rack of piglet, carre de porco no forno

Recently I have been making a list of things that I would like to cook and that I have not yet had the opportunity or the courage to attempt. Among these things are, for example, cod cheeks,meringues, fresh pasta (now recently achieved with the help of a donated pasta machine) and a rack of meat.Well rack of meat is about to be struck through as achieved also.In my butcher recently a handsome rack of Iberican black pig caught my attention through the glass.I duly purchased and came home to research recipes.Would I bake it in Flor de sal or roast it with shallots, lemongrass, ginger and wine and serve it with polenta chips.Or would I put provenance before preference and give it a smoked paprika and Mediterranean herb rub.Oh so Iberican I thought.I took so long cogitating and deliberating that the choice was forced on me by default.The majority of the recipes I looked up required an overnight stay in the fridge.The final choice was from
Stéphane Reynaud´s much loved tome "Pork and sons". Rack of piglet is a rare treat, particularly when the pig is a rare porco preto.This is a really simple but nevertheless flavoursome dish,and could easily be substituted with lamb.Your kitchen will be aromatised with a heavenly scent for many hours afterwards,making you yearn for more.

6 tbsp olive oil
1 rack of 6 chops from a piglet
2 lemongrass stalks,coarsely chopped
6 garlic cloves,coarsely chopped
3 shallots,coarsely chopped
5cm (2inch) piece of fresh root ginger,coarsely chopped
1 fresh thyme sprig
175ml( 6fl oz )white wine
50g (2oz) butter

Preheat the oven to 160ªC(325F /gas mark 3)

Heat the oil in a roasting pan,add the rack of chops and cook over a medium flame,turning occasionally,for about 10 minutes,until golden brown all over.add the lemongrass,garlic,shallots,ginger and thyme and pour in the wine.transfer to the oven and roast,basting frequently for 11/4 hours.
Transfer the rack to a serving dish,carve the chops and serve immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts