All hail Caesar

                                  
Friends, touristas, countrymen, lend me your ears... With a full, unobstructed view of the beach and Ria Formosa natural reserve,and a glass of Algarvian Rose at hand, yesterday I had the most delicious Chicken Caesar salad at Cha com Agua Salgada in Manta Rota. Refined but not overly fiddled with, Chef Marco´s kitchen served up classic perfection.I am constant as the Northern star and six years of living in the Algarve has not brought me a Caesar salad that was dressed correctly. Today I came I saw and I conquered.I have always said that the best practical interview test for a potential chef position is to get the recruit to make a Caesar salad dressing. There are  certain classics that can not be messed with and this is one of them. Accept no substitute, being palmed off with a flavoured mayonnaise is just not good enough.It all changed today. How could a mere salad cause such emotion?
Classic Caesar dressing

2 cloves garlic
4 anchovy fillets
1Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 eggs plus two egg yolks
Juice of 1 lemon
125ml white wine vinegar
250ml extra virgin olive oil
300ml sunflower oil

Blend all the ingredients in a processor until smooth and creamy.

Comments

Popular Posts