Veal free to use pork

I have recently noticed the word saltimbocca creeping onto the menus of some of our top notch local Algarve restaurants.
Is this a Portuguese /Italian fusion I ask myself ? Saltimbocca lends itself to experimentation, but the Roman original endures.
Previously not having been a saltimbocca afficianado, it has suddenly become my new must have recipe for a speedy stylish supper. I decided to introduce it into the Casa Rosada repertoire. I was curious to know if I could replace the classic veal with pork, without punters claiming I was being irreverent to the Roman original.With a little bit of research - eh voila, I found a recipe from Umbria for saltimbocca using pork. Saltimbocca di maiale al vinsanto.The Italian word saltimbocca means "jump in the mouth."The reason being the meat is cooked so quickly that with just a flash in the pan and a pirouette or two it will dance off your plate and into your mouth.


Saltimbocca do porco


3 slices of Bifanas do porco per person ( a thin cut of pork used in algarvian sandwiches )
3 thin slices of presunto serrano per person
3 leaves fresh sage
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp butter, 1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup white wine


Gently pound the pork slices with a mallet or rolling pin until thin.
Lay a piece of presunto over each slice.
Top with a sage leaf, and season with salt and pepper,
Roll the slices around the filling and secure each with a wooden toothpick.
Heat a çarge cast iron skillet over high heat until hot. Melt the butter until it is foaming. Add the oil add the pork rolls, turning them to brown on all sides. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the pork is cooked. Remove to a warmed plate. Add the wine to the pan and de-glaze until the liquid has reduced by 1/3. Transfer to plates and our the de-glazed sauce over them.
Serve with sauteed potatoes and salad.

Comments

  1. I think you're bang on trend with that one.I've just been reading about a new restaurant opening in London(Polpetto) and one of the most popular dishes is Pigeon Saltimbocca.
    Chefs first job when he left college was for an old school Italian,he had Veal Saltimbocca on the menu but used to painstakingly de sinew turkey legs then bat them out and pass of as veal....
    Again, if your guests are enjoying treats such as these I think they're very lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts