Offally Home made

I must say how much I enjoyed Tim Haywards `How to make pate`post on Guardian word of Mouth today. It not only made me chuckle, but from reading the comments that followed I gleaned the fact that you shouldn´t eat pate if you are pregnant. I´ve filed this in my backhead for August when Casa Rosada will have a pregnant guest staying in the house. As I said in the comment I posted I don´t know how to classify the mousse/ pate / paste that emerges from my processor. But I promised that I would post the recipe later.
I am following it with a recipe for Lentil pate to appease the vegetarian / vegan camp.

Here is my Chicken liver pate(or, God help us, 'parfait')

Chicken Liver Pate
a marriage of Heston Blumenthal and Valentina Harris!!!!

I think Heston was probably going for posh mousse and Valentina bless her was looking to achieve something more coarse and rustic on a bruschetta, I am looking to achieve something halfway between the two

I large onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
2 sticks of celery chopped
2 handfuls of finely chopped falt leaf parsley
5 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
( like the estate bottled Casa margherita)
250g unsalted butter
500g chicken livers
250ml dry white wine
60ml maciera, or good quality brandy
2 heaped tablespoons tomato puree
salt and pepper
100g rinsed capers ( optional )


Fry the onion,carrots ,celery and parsley in the olive oil and half the butter.
cook until the vegetables are soft, then add the chicken livers, mixing them in well.
Add the wine and brandy. Allow the liquor to evaporate for a few minutes,
then add the tomato puree. Season well with salt and pepper.
Cover the pan and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
Process the mixture with the remaining butter.
Add the capers and briefly process again with the pulse button.
Decant the mixture into a pate dish or ceramic terrine and leave to set overnight.


It freezes well in portioned containers.


Spiced Lentil Pate

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 medium onion chopped

2 cloves garlic minced

2 teaspoons home made curry powder

1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon piri piri powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds

1 cup dried lentils, rinsed well

2 cups marigold bouillon
1 teaspoon sea salt
ground black pepper
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk


Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan
add the onion, garlic and spices and saute gently until the onion is soft.
Add the lentils and water , bring to the boil, add the seasonings,
cover and simmer over a low heat for 1 hour or until lentils are cooked.
Add more stock during the cooking if necessary.Remove from the heat and drain.
Pre-heat the oven to 4ooF. Puree the mixture in a processor.
Adjust the seasoning and pour into a greased ovenproof pate dish or terrine.
Cover with foil and bake for one hour.
Cool and refrigerate.

This can also be frozen.




Comments

Popular Posts