Expat cravings part 2- from the stove to the microchip

Computer assisted cooking? What am I on about you say. We all acknowledge how in some ways technology has made our lives easier. Small disagreements over the dinner table can now be resolved by Googling. A recipe can be sourced in a matter of minutes, with 1001 options to choose from, and my latest enlightenment is that I can cook a recipe from a step by step online video and not only that, I can freeze frame it at any stage I want.How fantastic is that? I  put this to the test recently when I had an expat craving for a Melton Mowbray pork pie.I am lucky enough to have our computer located at the end of the kitchen area, so this was going to make the exercise easy.If your main computer is not located in close proximity of your kitchen, and you have wireless,a lappy type top on the kitchen table should suffice. 
I have to say I am obsessive when it comes to pork pies. Back in Blighty a trip to Sainsbury´s was never complete without a crusty bake pork pie. Own label or bespoke didn´t matter, but by the time I arrived at the check out all that remained was the wrapper. The cashier always looked at me askance.I have searched the length and breadth of the Algarve in vain,it seems to be one of the only foreign food products that is not available here.
So I decided to tackle my craving head on with the challenge of making one myself. My starting point was obviously my library of recipe books, but when this didn´t provide an answer I Googled "Melton Mowbray pork pie." This was the answer "Videojug" A ten minute film of how to make a Melton Mowbray pork pie. It was the most authentic recipe I had found, so I decided to give it a whirl. Making something as fiddly as this is really helped by having visual back up, and with the option of being able to print out the recipe too.
Well say no more, tried and tested, and approved. I am not only going to make this again for Christmas but also try some other "Videojug" options. I think " How to massage the female chest part 1" might put me off my Spag bol, but I think a visual lesson in how to make a beef wellington in 3 mins 52 is very tempting.
If you try it, good luck!!!
                              

Comments

  1. Looks delicious..I'm constantly searching for the perfect Pork pie recipe so will try yours..Hugh F-W has a good one in his "Meat" book and I believe Nigel Slater has ventured into Pork Pieland too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts