Cereal Thriller

Hot porridge puts you on course for a round of golf
It maybe winter outside but inside my heart its Spring. What better way to start the day than with a bowl of hot porridge in front of you. With global warming giving us hotter summers and colder winters porridge is oh so the new oats cusine here in Portugal. One only has to peruse the many blog posts and food Forums to see everybody´s talking Flocas de aveia (oats) No oats so easy as doing porridge in Portugal. Here´s what some are saying.....
Still a brand leader in 2011





        
            Deram-me 2 saquinhos de flocos de aveia, 
            mas não sei o que fazer com eles... 
            They gave me two bags of oatmeal, 
            but do not know what to do with them    
           
             ... mais, nem sequer nunca provei.
            more so, I  have never even tasted.
Alguém tem uma receitinha para os aproveitar? 
 Does anyone have a recipe to make?


Fatima I eat oatmeal for breakfast every day.


Podes fazer com leite e canela deixando cozer um pouco, e depois juntar maça partida. 
 You can do with milk and cinnamon letting it cook a little, then add mace departure.

Eu pessoalmente faço o seguinte à noite deito duas colheres de sopa flocos num copo juntamente com um iogurte liquido e três colheres de amoras ou outro fruto à tua escolha e de manhã como assim mesmo porque os flocos ficam bons.

I personally do the following evening lay two tablespoons of flakes in a glass with a liquid yogurt and three spoons of blackberries or other fruit of your choice and in the morning like it anyway because the flakes are good.
The brand I use

Rosalina
Com o frio que está parece que me agrada mais a versão da papinha quente.... 

With the cold seems that is what I like more the version of porridge hot .... Grin

Qual a quantidade de flocos e de leite?  
How many flakes and milk?  

É mais ou menos o mesmo que a farinha Maizena? 
It is more or less the same as cornstarch?
Obrigada pela ajuda. 
Thanks for the help.
Beijinhos Kisses

I usually do often oatmeal Cheesy  

ponho leite no tacho e os flocos de aveia (a quantidade de leite é posta a cobrir os flocos de aveia... eu regulo-me melhor pondo o leite primeiro) depois ponho açucar porque sou gulosa eo meu namorado também, levo ao lume sempre a mexer até ferver e ficar grossinho ou cremoso. 

I put milk in saucepan and oatmeal (the amount of milk is placed to cover the oatmeal I adjust me ... I better put the milk first) then put sugar because I'm greedy and my boyfriend too, always take the heat stirring until it boils and Grossinho or creamy. 

Deito numa tigela e ponho canela por cima 
I lay in a bowl and put cinnamon on top Cheesy 

fica óptimo! looks great!
Há quem ponha casca de limão no leite, mas eu não. 
Some people put lemon peel in milk, but not me.

Gosto muito da ideia de os comer com iogurte e fruta, tenho de experimentar! 
I love the idea of eating them with yogurt and fruit, I must try
Salt,oats, spurtle and my childhood porridge bowl

I was brought up in Scotland, and still make my porridge following a traditional Scottish principal which means cooking it with salt and stirring it with a spurtle. I also still have the original Quimper lug bowl that my mother used to serve my porridge  to me every morning. It is so named because of the two ear shaped handles on either side. My dear mother encouraged me to eat all my porridge by telling me I would then see the picture on the bottom of the bowl.  "Keep your eyes peeled and your lug holes open" because the originals are now becoming collectors items.
A bowl of creamy, soothing porridge is the  new muesli .Once the health police told us to "Go to work on an egg." Forget the egg, the new decade sees everyone  going to work on versions of oats, water and salt.Porridge is the morning meal of the moment.
David Cameron recently claimed in the House of Commons that he "almost choked on his porridge" over some bust-up with another member (surely also an oats man,and I´m sure wikileaks knows who and which brand was to blame). If you're a recent convert, beware the porridge pedants like myself he he. Rather like driving, everyone, it seems, thinks that their way of making porridge is best. Pinhead oats or rolled? Steel cut or roasted? A dash of salt or a pinch of sugar? Purists take the austere route favoured by the Scots and myself – oatmeal, water, salt, preferably stirred in a clockwise direction with that wooden implement called the spurtle. 
Even London´s lovely Ottolenghi is serving up porridge.They serve it with roasted nuts, maple syrup and fresh blackberries for a little bit of tartness.

Some current contenders
Deluxe porridge served with cream and Drambuie-laced raspberries.
Jumbo and rolled oats in a moat of cream with crunchy dark muscovado sugar.
Heston Blumenthal's snail porridge.
Stir in blueberries or blueberry compote.
Golden syrup and cream.
Raspberry purée or jam, perhaps even marmalade.
Banana, chocolate and cinnamon.
Pomegranate and muscovado sugar.
A big dollop of pumpkin puree with nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar.
Maple syrup and walnuts.

Quick Orange Porridge For Two
Ingredients: 80 g (3 oz) porridge oats; 300 ml (1/2 pint) cold unsweetened orange juice
Method: Mix the porridge oats and orange juice in a medium sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the orange is absorbed. Add more orange juice if necessary. Stir and top with fresh orange slices.

Paired with the fact that a packet of oats is very cheap to buy, it makes sense that they are flying off the shelves in these tight financial times.Cereal thrilling is back with a vengeance.  

Comments

  1. As a fellow Scot, I can only agree. However, porridge (for me) needs to made with oatmeal, medium cut. I live in Belgium, so I am dependent on friends to bring them over, but it's worth it (plus they're indefensible for stuffing and for skirlie, coating fish, a wee bit in the clootie, etc.)

    Porridge oats/oat flakes may be easy to cook, but lack flavour. Anyway, all it takes ins 10 -15 mins with oatmeal and you're done - stick it on before you go for a shower, it's ready when you're done.

    And please, milk and salt is all you need - no syrup, jam, brown sugar, fruit, yoghurt, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some shrimp porridge recently at Northcote Manor.Personally I like mine made with water and a pinch of salt but with double cream stirred in at the end(no sugar).
    PS I like the photo with the rustic old bowl, that's a good bit of food styling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both.All points taken on board. very interesting.1971 Thistle I personally like my porridge plain and simple with no fancy garnish, but I have a global readership to entertain and I therefore am merely illustrating current trends and fads, regardless of my personal taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fair point

    The reason I prefer the plain style is that I think oatmeal has a delicate flavour which stands alone - additions disguise that. The rolling/steaming process seems to remove that flavour, as well as doing something odd about the texture. Maybe that's why it benefits from additions and enhancements!

    That said, Mrs Thistle - when I am not taking porridge - will use bio rolled oats in preference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts