In times of peas

I have always believed......

"Someday it'll come along
The dish I love
It'll be bold and strong
The dish I love
And when it comes my way
I'll do my best to make it stay
It'll  look at me and smile
I'll understand
Then in a little while
I'll take my fork
And enjoy the sensation
I know I won't say a word
about the dish I love..."
                                                      with apologies to George Gershwin

And it has come along in the form of Nigel Slater’s squid with pea and coriander chutney.Fresh and raw,still in the pod, peas makes a delicious snack. But even in a cooked dish like this, they can become the star ingredient.
Whether you toss them in a salad, mix them with bacon into a gorgeous risotto, or turn them into a bright green soup, nothing embodies the sweet, light freshness of summer like the humble pea. For me this  is such a superb summery supper or part of a lazy langorous lunch in the jardim. I will be making it again and again before the season´s out.
There is an ease to early summer cooking that comes from a starting point of having the finest of the season’s ingredients to hand. Fuss free, carefree and effortless,we should enjoy this as long as it lasts.
Our verdict:The dish overall is very rich,and I thought the given quantity for the squid was enough to make a decent main course for two.As it turned out it was only enough for two starter portions.This did not matter as we found it very filling.The quantity of green chutney was more than enough and I put what was left over in the fridge to use in place of mayo in sandwiches as Slater suggested.

Other pea dishes I love
Pea fritters
Risi and bisi
Peas pappardelle and parmesan
Pea crostini with goats cheese and burrata
Pea pesto
Pea kachori

Comments

Popular Posts