"Simple" Yotam says...

 Yum yum-ollenghi
I am just love love loving my new Ottolenghi.This is the third recipe I have cooked from his new book and if you are lucky enough you will not need to even buy the book as I keep trying and testing and posting the results right here. The book is exactly what it says it is "SIMPLE."For this recipe "Squid and red pepper stew" I made a couple of minor changes.I had some prime baby octopus from the amazing Olhao market and decided to substitute this for the squid.He suggested serving the dish with rice or cous cous but I decided to add potatoes to it, making it a one pot dish and something I remembered from a Portuguese recipe that I had previously cooked "Octopus with red wine and potatoes" The only other change I made to the recipe was to use piri-piri flakes in place of the caraway seeds and allspice.The result delivered big on flavour and one I will definitely return to.Meanwhile I am bookmarking my way through the pages, and think next up will be a pasta dish or "Pork with ginger,spring onion and aubergine." Mind you I`m quite tempted by the "Fish cake tacos with mango and cumin yoghurt".I´ll keep you posted.
Squid or octopus and red pepper stew
Served 2 as a main course
80 ml olive oil
1 onion sliced into pinwheels about 1cm wide
I large red pepper,halved, core and seeds removed,cut into long slices 1 cm thick
2 garlic cloves,thinly sliced
( 2tsp caraway seeds, 3/4 tsp ground allspice) I used a sprinkling of piri piri flakes
1 kg baby squid,cleaned,skin removed,cut into 1.5cm strips (500g) I used Octopus
6 new potatoes, peeled and quartered
1.5 tbsp tomato paste 
3 bay leaves
1tbsp chopped thyme leaves 
150ml red wine
1 small orange,zest finely grated to get 1/2 tsp (optional)
salt and black pepper
Put the oil into a large sauté pan,for which you have a lid, and place on a medium high heat.Add the onion and red pepper,along with 1/3 teaspoon of salt,and cook for 5 minutes,stirring from time to time.Add the garlic,caraway seeds,allspice,(if using)and a really good grinding of black pepper.Continue to sauté for another 5 minutes,until everything is nice and soft.
Add the squid or octopus,and potatoes,if using, cook for 5 minutes,then stir in the tomato paste,bay leaves and thyme.Cook for another 2-3 minutes,then pour in the wine.Reduce the heat to low and allow everything to simmer away,covered, for about 30 minutes,stirring a few times,until the squid/octopus is cooked and soft.If the sauce is turning dry towards the end of cooking,you might need to add a tablespoon or two of water.Add the orange zest just before serving if using,and give everything a final gentle stir.


Comments

Popular Posts