"all of my avocados just ripened at once"



Dear me,but doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself?!!It seems like it was only the other day that I was signing up for High 50 and today I find myself signing up to follow starts at 60.
"all of my avocados just ripened at once" was the strap line that popped out at me.Was this a euphemism for some lucky soul who just got flashed by some eye candy or was it a nod to Victoria Wood? Its like you popped to the shop for a bar of chocolate and some avocado and when you came out smelling of Revlon your avocados had already ripened.They say a brown paper bag does wonders for ripening an avocado quickly.Well nothing can ruin your plans more than a brown mushy avocado.
In case you were wondering like myself the avocado is a fruit. More specifically, botanists define it as a large berry with a single seed.
Avocados are notorious for turning brown and slimy once they’ve been cut open, and there’s nothing more frustrating than throwing away perfectly good food!
But one savvy woman has revealed a simple trick for preventing the browning process — and it’s all down to how you cut it. Margaret Drisi shared her secret on the new teen app TikTok, which allows users to share videos,She calls it the ‘Dinosaur Egg Avocado Hack’.
In the short video (above), which has been viewed more than 170,000 times so far, the woman shows the unusual way she cuts into an avocado to prevent it from turning brown. “This is how to cut your avocado so it doesn’t go bad when you’re only using a little piece of it every day,” she says in the video.
Instead of slicing the avocado right down the middle as most people would, Margaret slices a round piece off the very top of the avocado. With a tablespoon, she then scoops the fruit out of the chopped-off piece, before continuing to dig out some from the rest of the avocado. She then places the remainder of the avocado in an air-tight container, with the rest of the peel and seed intact, which protects the avocado from turning brown.Cookbooks and Grandma's recipe cards aren't the only places to find expert techniques; social media also happens to be a useful tool for cooking tips and tricks.As someone who often eats one per day,it probably wouldn´t be practical for me, but I thought I needed to try the method for myself.Bearing in mind my age I erred cautiously towards this new social media platform for teens,TikTok.I Tried the TikTok Hack to Keeping An Avocado From Going Brown—and after three days in my fridge it worked.
The only reason this method probably won't become my go-to is that I usually enjoy half of an avocado at a time. But if you have better portion control and only like a little, this is trick is a great idea.
Lettuce leaves even keep buns fresh!
Nosing around the starts at 60 site further I found these enterprising sexagenarians  recently shared another hack to keep avocados fresh for longer — and the secret is can you believe it,lettuce leaves?!
"Sort of accidentally I discovered that I have been throwing away 1st class food wrap", a woman from New Zealand wrote on her Facebook page. “Lettuce leaves, primarily the outer ones that are a bit harder, Make excellent food wrap! Since they’re designed for that purpose in the first place… ( who knew!)”
Sharing an image of her cut avocado, she added: “This avo was cut a week ago, and stored in the fridge ever since, wrapped in lettuce leaf. All good for today’s breakfast. Incidentally, Lettuce leaves even keep buns fresh!”

Comments

Popular Posts